Week Ahead Top Games
Below are the top games around the league this week. A full schedule is always available on Atlantic10.com and can be found here.
· After losing to a tough Rhode Island team last Saturday, Dayton edged Richmond Tuesday in Richmond, 85-84.
· George Washington beat George Mason 74-52 as part of the Revolutionary Rivalry on Tuesday.
· Coming off a big win against GW Saturday, VCU, tied for first place in the A-10, will host Davidson WEDNESDAY night. The Rams beat the Wildcats 79-69 back on Jan. 29. (7p.m.ET, CBS Sports Network)
· Also on WEDNESDAY night Saint Joseph’s will travel to take on St. Bonaventure at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y. The Bonnies have won their last three games and will be looking to top the Hawks, who sit tied with VCU on top of the conference standings. St. Bonaventure won the first game, which was played in Philadelphia. (7p.m.ET, Live on Atlantic10.com)
· Two of the conference’s top teams face off SATURDAY night as Dayton hosts VCU. Both Dayton and VCU will be looking to move up in conference standings and add another quality win to their already impressive NCAA Tournament resumes. (8p.m.ET, CBS Sports Network).
National Picture Updates
11 Days Until Selection Sunday
Saint Joseph’s and Dayton are receiving votes in both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches Poll. St. Bonaventure is also receiving votes in the Coaches Poll.
Four A-10 teams are in the top 50 of the latest RPI rankings and six are in the top 70: Dayton (25), Saint Joseph’s (26), St. Bonaventure (35), VCU (46), George Washington (61) and Davidson (66).
In Jerry Palm’s most recent bracket predictions, three A-10 teams are in. Dayton is a six seed, Saint Joseph’s is an eight seed and St. Bonaventure is a last four in team. VCU and George Washington sit just outside as first four out teams.
Joe Lunardi’s latest bracketology update has Dayton as a seven seed, Saint Joseph’s at an eight seed and VCU a 10 seed. St. Bonaventure is a first four out team and GW is a next out team.
USA Today has Dayton and Saint Joseph’s both as eight seeds in its latest bracket projections. St. Bonaventure and VCU are first four out teams and GW is considered for at-large bids.
Atlantic 10 History in the Big Dance
This season’s top A-10 teams are battling it out to be regular season champions because they know the regular season matters when it comes to post season play.
In the past five years…
• 100% of A-10 teams who win the conference regular season, go on to the NCAA Tournament (5 of 5)
• 100% of A-10 teams who finish in the top 2 of the conference regular season, have made the NCAA Tournament (10 of 10)
• 93% of A-10 teams who finish in the top 3 of the conference regular season, have made the NCAA Tournament (14 of 15)
• 90% of A-10 teams who finish in the top 4 of the conference regular season, have made the NCAA Tournament (18 of 20)
USA Today’s Anna Katherine Clemmons wrote a feature story on Davidson’s Jack Gibbs, drawing comparisons between Gibbs and Stephen Curry’s time as a Wildcat. LINK
Philadelphia Tribune reporter Donald Hunt wrote a story on URI alumni Cuttino Mobley being honored as an Atlantic 10 Legend. LINK
Richmond Times-Dispatch reporter Time Pearrell wrote about VCU having the opportunity to recover from its loss to Richmond last week with several big games on the schedule to end conference play. LINK
An article in the Washington Post by David Driver talks to players on George Mason’s ’05-’06 team, reflecting on its run to the Final Four a decade ago. LINK
Saint Joseph’s DeAndre’ Bembry earned Atlantic 10 Player of the Week honors Monday. The forward scored 10 points against UMass and 27 points against St. Louis to lead the Hawks to a 2-0 week and a tie for the top spot in the conference. LINK
@ESPNLunardi tweeted St. Bonaventure has “a good shot” at an at-large bid.
@JonRothstein predicts a tournament bid for Saint Joseph’s following the Hawks’ win over Saint Louis.