Alum Pops Mensah-Bonsu with the Wizards in training camp



Former GW basketball star Pops Mensah-Bonsu (class of 2006) has signed with the Wizards for their training camp games. Pops previously played for the Mavericks, Raptors, Spurs and Hornets, and had a lot of success overseas in Turkey, Italy and Spain, plus the Great Britain National Team. He would join Mike Hall as former GW hoopsters to play for the Wiz if he makes the squad.

And the King Whale Killer got on the team at a good time: they just got to Rio de Janeiro for the NBA Global Games, where NBA teams play overseas.

Unfortunately he also got dunked on by the Wizards' Jan Vesely. Hey, it happens. The comments from the players were pretty funny though:
It was disgusting,” forward Trevor Ariza said, scrunching his face, whilst talking to The Washington Post.

“It looked like a nuclear explosion. Everybody curse at the same time,” Nene said.

The 6’9″ Mensah-Bonsu, currently at Wizards camp trying to make a return to the NBA, took it all in good spirit, though.

“I’m cool. I’m going to take it. I got dunked on. That’s okay. Come back tomorrow. Let’s see what happens,” he said with a laugh. “But he jumped over me. I think he jumped outside the paint. He took out from far. He dunked it hard. And he let me know about it. He don’t even speak English well and he let me know about it. What is that about? He said, ‘Yeah. Yeah. I dunked you.’ ”

Comments

Check out great shirts, crewnecks, hats and more!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram