Pops joins Hornets training camp

Everyone's favorite Whale Killer has another shot at the NBA, joining the New Orleans Hornets' training camp. He gave an interview to MVP Basketball, including this:
“I’m 27-year-old now and I’ve been at this stage before. I’m a bit older and wiser. But I have a chip on my shoulder and when I played for GB in the summer, it definitely helped that I was playing with a bit of anger. It made me focus in a little more and it made sure I brought the same intensity to every game. I just wanted to show the best of my abilities. I did that this summer. And I want to continue to do that.”
I didn't know Pops was 27. He had a deal with Spanish league champions Caja Laboral Baskonia, but it fell through after they learned about an apparently well-known knee injury which doesn't seem to be bothering him. Pops played well for the Great Britain national team lately, being the team's leading rebounder during Eurobasket qualifiers. He also gets a mention on Hoops Fix, a British basketball site.

Interestingly, the Hornets GM was the GM for the Austin Toros, the D-League team Pops dominated for before getting called up to the Spurs. He's up against Joe Alexander, Daryl Watkins, Michael Washington to be former Xavier player David West's backup. I've only heard of Alexander, so maybe that's a good sign. And the MVP Basketball article says the Hornets need energy and rebounding. Sounds like that English guy from GW. Let's hope he sticks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hopefully he`ll make it. I liked Pops when he played for the Raps

Check out great shirts, crewnecks, hats and more!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram