Hobbs has "verbal altercation" with Hatchet reporter

Don't know how I missed this - apparently Karl Hobbs had a verbal altercation with Hatchet sports editor Andrew Alberg after the loss to Virginia Tech. Hobbs said that the team was beaten in every way, and Alberg asked if that included being outcoached, or something to that effect, which seems like a fair question to ask. After the press conference, Hobbs asked to speak to Alberg in a tunnel and was angry, saying "When I get some top-50 recruits, you can ask me about being out-coached" twice before being led away (or "pulled away" as the Post says) by athletic director Jack Kvancz.

Obviously this was somewhat unfair to Alberg, who asked a reasonable question, but at the same time I assume Karl Hobbs wasn't at his happiest after his team got crushed. And maybe the fact that he was so angry (apparently) in response to the question means that he did think he was outcoached. Who knows.

But in any case, I don't think this is as terrible as some GWHoops folks say. Should Hobbs have been nicer? Yes. But it seems to be in the heat of the moment.

And Alberg is going abroad next semester with co-editor Joanna Shapes taking over basketball, so it hopefully won't affect the Hatchet's solid press coverage of the team.

The Daily Colonial mentions the incident too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So I'm a t-shirt Colonial, as you've likely gathered from my lurking/commenting on your site. I set up the DVR on Sunday, excited to finally get a chance to watch G-Dub. When I finally got a chance to check it out, I stopped at halftime and erased it. (To be fair, I knew the ugly final score heading into it.)

Coaches get frustrated and say things that are out of line sometimes. As much time as they spend in front of cameras and microphones, it's just a fact of life. But in Hobbs' defense, he clearly didn't get outcoached in this one. GW was simply outplayed by the Hokies in every facet of this game.

You've hit a major cause of it in your previous post -- if they're going to jack up 25 three pointers in a game, they've got to hit better than 20something percent. Get some presence inside next season and add a year of experience to these guys, and things will look up.

Thanks as always for the solid coverage on my "other" team.
Andrew W said…
Good point, and thanks!

Check out great shirts, crewnecks, hats and more!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram