End of an era: GWHoops.com has shut down, but there's a new message board for us GW fans

Big things are afoot in GW fandom, and it's the end of an era. GWHoops.com, the longtime message board created and managed by superfan Herve, has shut down. Herve posted a funny LCD Soundsystem-referencing farewell message. (Sing it to the tune of "Losing My Edge.")

Herve ran the message board with his own elbow grease in his spare time since 1998, and it was the #1 source of GW rumor, fun and news around (with this site a close second, sometimes.) He served as a moderator, coach, and ringmaster for all those years. In recent times however, a few very persistent and annoying trolls took up residence there. I also get the feeling that he just got tired of running it. (For a while, the heading of the site has been "help is not coming.") And after 21 years, I think he fully deserves a break.

So thank you Herve for providing a place for lots of to learn about the latest happenings, argue with each other, debate theoretical GW player dunk contests, organize bar meet ups at NCAA tournament sites, and much more. I even met a few now real-life friends on GWHoops. If you see Herve around, buy him a drink or give him a high five.

But all is not lost. An enterprising fan named Barry set up a new message board, complete with registration and a promise to have tough moderators. It's at gwhoops.boardhost.com and I already see a few of the familiar faces (aka internet handles there) without any of the trolls, so far. So check it out, and thank Herve for everything.

Here's the GWHoops farewell message:

1998 - 2019

Yeah, I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
The kids are coming up from behind.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids from Long Island and from Northern Virginia.
But I was there.
I was there in 1993.
I was there in the Marvin Center ballroom for the Sweet Sixteen with George Michael reporting live.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good GW basketball team from 1997 to 2005.
I'm losing my edge.
To all the kids in Madison and Guthridge.
I'm losing my edge to the Whole Foods shoppers in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.
But I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
I was there.
But I was there.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks.
But I was there.
I was there in 1995 at the first upset of a #1 in Smith Center history.
I was staking-out a top row bleacher seat with much patience.
I was there when Mike King hit two free throws with no time left on the clock.
I yelled, "Don't miss. You'll never play again."
I was there.
I was the first guy calling for starter's minutes for a freshmen-year Chris Monroe.
I was in the old gold seats.
Everybody thought I was crazy.
We all know.
I was there.
I was there.
I've never been wrong.
I used to run a good message board.
I knew everything before anyone.
I was there when Karl Hobbs leaked his own firing.
I was there when Wilmore air-balled the shot heard around Foggy Bottom.
I woke up happy in Greensboro in 2006.
But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
And they're actually really, really nice.
I'm losing my edge.
I heard you have a VHS compilation of every good GW dunk ever done by anybody.
Every great throw-down by Dirk Surles. All the Omar Williams facials.
All the Pinnock highlight reels. I heard you have a DVD of every block Yinka Dare did.
I heard that you have a bootleg of every seminal Kwame Evans three-pointer made against New Mexico State, UMass, Maryland,Virginia Tech.
I heard that you have compilation of every good Rogers pull-up jumper and another of all his steals from 1998.
I hear you're taking graduate transfers and international players and are throwing your defensive game-plan out the window because you want to make a winner. You want to have Gonzaga's record.
I hear that you and your team have sold your souls to AAU and purchased some top-100 recruits.
I hear that you and your team have cut ties with AAU teams and deal only with high school coaches.
I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
But have you seen my roster?
Darrio Scott, Valery Khamenia, Lafonte Johnson, Andrei Sviridov, Matija Debevec, Darnell Miller, Adama Kah, Rene Harry, Ricky Lucas, Kinte Smith, Anthony Wise, Lewie Helton, Mark Lund, Rodney Patterson, Jaason Smith, Daymon Warren, Jaz Cowan, Marquin Chandler, Daniel Soares, Daniel Soares, Daniel Soares, Daniel Soares
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.

Comments

Check out great shirts, crewnecks, hats and more!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram